BHS used to stand for the metalworking facilities of “Bayerische Berg-, Hütten- und Salzwerke AG“ at Sonthofen. The site in upper Bavaria is still there, but since the first drives were produced in 1932, the works have been transformed into a specialist provider of high-tech power transmissions for utilities and oil, gas and petrochemical companies. Important applications include the coupling of turbines to power generators in power plants.
Competitive advantages from highly specialised expertise, innovation and a problem-solving approach made BHS a leading producer of tailor-made high speed transmission systems. A broad and growing base of installed systems with a related technical service and spare-parts business make significant contributions to revenues.
The investment in BHS came about in 2005 when Halder acquired a 94% shareholding through a secondary buy-out which also gave management an opportunity to increase its interest.
During the following years the company achieved good growth and Halder exited the investment by selling to Voith Turbo, a subsidiary of Voith AG: Combining their know how in planetary and turbo gears provides further growth opportunities for both firms.