Founded in 1940 as a manufacturer of steel cabinets and safes, the company adapted its product range at the end of the second world war to meet the requirements of Germany’s reconstruction - steel containers, cast iron stoves, large steel structures for bridges and buildings. At the same time, Karl Eugen Fischer started manufacturing metalworking machinery, which by 1965 was being exported to over 50 countries. In the 1970s a deal with tyre manufacturer Continental led to the development of cutting machines for rubber, steel mesh and textiles. With its focus on specialty machinery for the tyre industry the company has now become one of the leading manufacturers in the world.
In 2006, ownership succession for the second generation of the founding family was realized by a MBO with Halder acquiring 91% of the capital. Key tasks facing the new owners included further development of the firm’s market position in Asia and Eastern Europe. The company also planned to boost the technical service side, as materials cutting is a niche in the production process that only a few tyre manufacturers cover themselves.
When the main objectives regarding the expansion of markets and services were achieved in 2008, Halder sold its shares to financial investor Equita.